Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Food and Fashion

Hi friends! Thanks for the coffee suggestions- I am surprised that there are so many non-coffee drinkers out there...where do you get your energy?! I think I will try the Starbucks VIA suggestion as well as start looking for a French press. I have tried Folgers, Maxwell, and a few off-brands in the past and did not like them.
Every week I love reading WIAW, but I never have time to post during the middle of the week! So I decided to give you a glimpse of what I ate today...
I woke up craving broccoli.
I had about 4 cups of steamed broccoli with some leftover garlic mashed potatoes. Yes, for breakfast. This is probably why I don't blog my meals every day!
I went to my practicum afterwards and enjoyed a few pieces of chocolate and some coffee while there. I came home for lunch and whipped up some Peanut Butter Pumpkin curry!
This was a spur of the moment meal, and it came together really well!
I sauteed a quarter cup of minced white onion in one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of curry powder. Once the onion was translucent, I added 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup pureed pumpkin, and one quarter cup crunchy peanut butter. Then I brought it to a boil and added 2 cups mixed vegetables. Add cumin, red chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste, and dig in!
The veggies I used were a frozen broccoli stir-fry mix that included broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, corn, and bell pepper.
 It was delicious. Alongside a not-so-photogenic Morningstar Chik Patty...
Dinner consisted of oakleaf salad, with kohlrabi, carrots, and broccoli.
Tossed together in Newman's Own light honey mustard!
With a side of roasted plantains + black beans, and corn...smothered in verde salsa.
A satisfying day of food! 
This is what I wore to my Practicum today:

Top and headband: F21
Skinny jeans: Banana Republic
Heels: Nine West
Watch: Nordstrom kid's department!
I loved the sleeves on this top.

Finally, check out these macaroons!

I made them for the first time for a potluck I attended recently, and they were a hit!
Do you like coconut? I adore it- but I find it's a very polarizing food- people love it or hate it!

9 comments:

  1. I am picky about coconut. Konkani cuisine, from the western coast of Maharashtra uses coconut in a form that I don't like at all. I love coconut in sweet treats though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit!!

    I'm not a huge coconut person... okay, I'll be honest... I don't like it at all, haha! The only way I've ever liked it is as a scent or in using coconut milk as the base to my dairy free icecream. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted plantains! I love them. So much.

    I used to HATE coconut. But then somehow I developed a taste for it when I had Bengali food in Tokyo last year. I know that makes no sense at all - you'll just have to trust me on that one. :)

    I love your skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Coconut!! And those macaroons look delicious! I am horrible at making them though. . . they come out flat and too sugary. Must switch up the recipe.

    Non coffee drinker as well. I get my energy from my green teas I drink like 7 cups a day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for some broccoli dishes myself--- the pumkin curry looks gorgeous.. Will try this one out:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only like coconut sometimes, but I love macaroons! Yours look delicious, and your outfit is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like coconut, but I wayyyy prefer unsweetened to sweetened!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, those macaroons look INCREDIBLE! Are you kidding? I looooooove coconut! I could crawl inside a coconut and just live there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your top is super cute and the macaroons look so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete