Friday, April 29, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and the Yummy

So much has happened in the past few days...
The Good: Attending my last class of the semester! And celebrating with an in-home happy hour.
Leftover queso, broccoli, grape tomatoes, and chips + margarita x 2
The Bad: Still having take-home finals to work on...
(zoomed out...)
The Good: Getting an A on my first final!
The Bad: Alphabet soup that was full of the letter F
Is this a bad omen for the rest of my finals?!
PS why is soup so ugly?
The Good: Devising an awesome tofu press.
From the bottom: large container, tofu, smaller container, tub of nutritional yeast, extra heavy book, 3 slim books
The Bad: Our roof has several leaks... in the bedroom and hallway. We've been sleeping in the living room- hope our landlord can get it fixed soon!
And just so I don't end on a bad,
The Yummy!
Tonight I made Vegan Mattar Paneer but instead of paneer (cheese), I used tofu! Hence the ghetto tofu press...
I seriously got a good cupful of water out of that tofu!
The dish was amazing...you'd be surprised at the difference using high-quality peas makes!
I feel like the Barefoot Contessa saying, "add your good peas."
Vegan Mattar Paneer - Peas and Tofu
Ingredients:
1 cup grape tomatoes (or equivalent with regular tomato)
1 shallot minced (made about 1/4 cup)
1 TBSP ginger garlic paste

1 container firm or extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

1/2 - 1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dhania powder (mix of coriander and cumin)
hing (optional)
sea salt to taste

1 can peas (or equivalent frozen, fresh, etc)
1/4 cup water

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and brown on all sides. This will take about 10 minutes. While the tofu is browning, combine tomatoes, shallot, and ginger garlic paste in a food processor and grind to a puree or fine dice. Remove tofu and set on paper towels.* 
With the remaining oil in the skillet, add all spices but salt. Add the tomato mixture and cook for about 5 minutes. Add sea salt to taste. Add the peas and water to the skillet and bring to a boil.** Turn the heat to low and add the browned tofu cubes. Heat through, and serve! You may want to add more salt too!
*You could bake your tofu too, but I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to do that!
**If you find your mixture too watery, add a cornstarch slurry of 1 TBSP cornstarch that has been mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
I ate mine with a pita bread.
This is also delicious with rice or roti or naan...any way you like it!

What are some of your good, bad, and yummies from this week?

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm looks good!! I have been craving a curry full of peas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your last class! looks like you had a good time finishing your final..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your last class of the semester! And no, the "F" is not an omen. I assure you!

    The good: Maya is watching TV and is occupied. The bad: The show is slated to end in 4 minutes.
    The yummy: Still working on dinner. It's pretty decent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job so far! I'm sure those Fs in the soup were for "fabulous"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the F means everything is going to be just fine :) Mattar paneer...love it. I totally agree with your peas theory, good peas can change the quality of the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    And congratulations on going to your last class of the semester! I can't wait for that feeling.

    My good: getting a spiral vegetable slicer

    My bad: getting sick

    My yummy: my latest breakfast obsession. Dry oats, 1 banana, frozen raspberries, and all drenched in almond milk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear you are slowly teaching me how to cook Indian food. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on getting an A on your first final!!

    That Vegan Mattar Paneer looks really delicious...I'm definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats some major roof leakage.
    The Good: Reading Blogs!
    The Bad: Came home to a sick puppy
    Yummy: Bakery tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting an A on your first final!! I think that's a good sign of things to come (forget about those "F"s in your soup!

    For me this week:
    Good; lot's of laughing, and just overall in a very good mood!
    Bad: TOO MUCH RAIN!
    Yummy: homemade chocolate and PB ice cream, YUM

    ReplyDelete