Thursday, February 10, 2011

About Me

A lot has changed since I published my first post and I thought that now would be a great time to update you on where I am in life today.
I graduated from Texas Tech University in May of 2010 with a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in Environmental Studies.

Can you spot me?

During my last 3 years in Lubbock, I also worked full-time in a research lab studying Alzheimer's Disease and Diabetes. It was the best job I've ever had and I learned a lot there!
Self-portrait of me in the lab


In July of 2010, my boyfriend and I packed up and moved 1,000 miles north to Charleston, Illinois, where I am currently attending a Master's program in Clinical Psychology. I'm very interested in studying nutrition, and researching and providing treatment for individuals with eating disorders.
Charleston is a rural town in southeastern Illinois and there is not much going on here. I miss city-life in the Dallas area where my parents live, and I miss my family a lot
Mom, me, sister, step-dad
Sister, me, Mom

I also really miss my Texas friends
BFF Colleen

Luckily, I have my boyfriend here with me! We started dating in October of 2006. He is the most caring, patient, and supportive person I could have asked for and he also makes me laugh all the time. I love to laugh!
Me and Raine

If you know me, you'll know that I also love to eat. I live on a plant-based, vegetarian (mostly vegan) diet. But, I don't think those labels are important. What's important to me is that I'm doing something that makes me and my tummy feel healthy and fulfilled. For me, that means eating mainly fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and grains. Something you won't find here is a food journal--I'm pretty sure none of you are interested in seeing me eat an enormous salad for breakfast!
I do love to cook though, and you will find a lot of recipes on my blog. Good Indian food holds a very special  place in my heart and you'll also see a lot of that here. I also love simple, healthy recipes that don't involve too much preparation time. I love to get recipe inspiration from all over the blogworld and from Food Network, and trying new things is one of my hobbies.

Some of my other passions include:
Travel
Goa, India
Las Vegas, NV
Hong Kong
Singapore
New Mexico
I really love visiting new places, sight-seeing, doing touristy things, and most of all-trying new food!

Being Outdoors
Something else I enjoy is spending time with nature. I love to hike, go camping, and be outdoors in general- especially in the summertime!
I especially enjoy laying out in the sun with a good book to read, which brings me to my love for...

Books
Reading in front of my parent's fireplace
I absolutely love to read. I am pretty sure I was born with a book in my hand! I'm usually in the middle of 2-3 books at once... The Bell Jar is my all-time favorite book and some of my favorite authors include: Roddy Doyle, John Updike, Marian Keyes, Douglas Adams, L.M. Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott, J.K. Rowling, Chelsea Handler, and Beverly Cleary. I could go on and on though! I also enjoy most chic lit- especially if it's set in the UK. Nothing pulls me out of a bad mood like getting involved in a fabulous book!

Animals
I have a soft spot for every living creature and believe we should all treat living things with kindness, compassion, and humanity.
Me & Bosco

That's enough about me for now! I want to hear from you. I love to know who is reading my blog and really look forward to your comments. Please don't hesitate to leave me a message here or e-mail me at
Sonia116 at gmail dot com

15 comments:

  1. I believe I found you in the picture. The short one in the back.lol
    And we'll get to know more about each other here in Charleston. First, we need to have Asian cuisine party;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this entry! You look so happy in all of the pictures, and it really gives a great sense of who you are! I've been trying to update mine to be more reflective of my actual life, but it's a work in progress. Thanks for all the great posts; I love tagging along on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice post! I learned so much. Most important, I had no idea you were studying Alzheimer's and Diabetes. That sounds so interesting. Did you find anything worth writing a paper about? I'm always interested in learning about both of those conditions, the more I know the better I am able to help my own clients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! That's so cool that you worked in a lab studying diabetes (well, to me it is, since I'm a diabetic!). I feel like we have a lot in common- I love to travel! You've been some awesome places. It's neat that you're from Dallas- that's one of the places I'm considering moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "no labels" diet philosophy; that's exactly how I am. and I LOVE the name of your blog!
    Gorgeous travel pictures; I've always wanted to go to Goa... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Just found your blog! It's great! I stumbled upon it at the right timme - I got to learn all about you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. reading this goes to prove how much of a free spirit you have inside of you. i love your zest for life and the ability you have to explore every bit of it!! <3

    oh and im sorry ive been so behind on reply to my comments. i just commented on ur muffin post with those DELICIOUS muffins you made after being inspired by mine. i just love that u added caramel to them!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps. im gonna give you a shout out on my next post for baking them.they totally deserve recognition! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are most definitely a well-rounded person! We have some things in common- i.e. the love of reading! It looks as if you have lead a great life thus far :-)
    PS- I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sonia! I found your blog from a comment at Lovely as Charged, and I'm so glad I did. I'm a Texas Tech Alumni too! I really like your blog, and I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we really do have a lot in common - i did alzheimers disease research in undergrad for 3 years too! crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! I'm looking forward to browsing yours (especially for yummy Indian recipes!), but found your weight loss story and about me pages SO relate-able. I went through a really similar journey with food and college...and felt all those same emotions...including not wanting to go home.

    Plus, I love travelling, books and cats too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you heard of http://www.holycowvegan.net/? I love her blog, lots of yummy Indian recipes too.

    You have a great outlook on eating! Enjoy yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog name. :D And I LOVE Indian food! So glad to have clicked through here...

    ReplyDelete